Do you want to decrease your gluten intake and still have a nutritious breakfast? Do you love eating cereal in the morning but do not like the sugar, soy and corn rich blends avalable on the market? This recipe is for you! It is low in sugar still rich in taste, thanks to the spices. You can enjoy this muesli mix cold with milk or yoghurt, as well as using it to prepare a porridge. The main ingredient in this recipe is buckwheat, a nutritious grain, rich in soluble fiber, antioxidants, copper, magnesium and manganese. Furthermore, its proteins contain all the essential amino acids. In this recipe, buckwheat groats are combined with with hazelnuts and almonds, which provide vitamins B1, B2 and E, as well as phosphorus, iron and zinc. Cocoa bean nibs bring the final touch of goodness.
Yield: 7-10 servings
- 500g buckwheat groats
- 40 g almonds
- 40 g hazelnuts
- 10 gr cocoa bean nibs
- 50 ml maple syrup
- 50 ml rapeseed oil
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Soak the almonds and hazelnuts for at least 3 hours. Drain, discard the water. Crush them..
- Cook the buckwheat in twice its volume of water. Start by boiling the water. When it boils, pour the rinsed buckwheat groats and salt. Simmer over medium heat until water reaches the level of buckwheat. Cover and finish cooking over low heat, until all the water has been absorbed.
- Pour the cooked buckwheat in a large bowl. Add the crushed almonds and hazelnuts, cocoa bean nibs, maple syrup and powdered spices. Mix.
- Spread the mixture on a drip pan lined with parchment paper. Cook for 30 minutes in oven preheated at 200°C. Stir the mixture twice during cooking.
- Lower the temperature to 50°C. Leave in the oven until the preparation has fully dried. It can take several hours, depending on your oven and the thickness of the mixture. You can reduce the drying time by spreading the preparation on two drip pans.
- Let the muesli cool completely before storing in an airtight container.