Hummus, a traditional dish of eastern Mediterranean, is a real treat. Its unique flavor, its creamy texture, light sesame flavor, make it an irresistible dish. The original recipe is made – mainly with chickpeas and as tasty as nutritious – is unfortunately very long to prepare because of the soaking and cooking time. Thus, most people prefer to eat it at the restaurant, or to buy it already made.
Replacing the chickpeas with red lentils, will allow you tp prepare this dish at home, in 30 minutes! You will hardly feel the difference and can be able to eat this delight at home, without having to get organised the evening before.
You can eat hummus with bread or vegetable sticks. It is perfect as an appetizer, starter or during a mezze dinner consists of several dishes – tzatziki, Serbian salad, falafel, tabbouleh… On a nutrition point of view, lentils areas good as chickpeas: they bring you fiber, iron, phosphorus, manganese, copper and folate. Tehine – or sesame butter – is packed with calcium, magnesium, vitamin E and B1. With this recipe, you will please your taste buds as well as your body!
- 175g red lentils
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 tbsp tehine (white sesame butter)
- 50 cl olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- Rinse the lentils until the water runs clear, then drain.
- In a saucepan, bring to a boil 0.5 liters of water.
- Add the lentils. Cook for 15 minutes. Drain and discard the water.
- Wait 10 minutes until the lentils are fully drained. Do not skip this step, or you will get a runny hummus !
- Blend all ingredients until you get a smooth and creamy texture.
- Adjust seasoning if necessary. Pour into a bowl and garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of paprika.
Enjoy , and see you soon !