I discovered this treat during an Ayurvedic retreat in Sri Lanka. This recipe is lighter than the original version, which is cooked in coconut milk. Quick and easy to prepare, warm and soft, delicately spicy, it is the perfect breakfast in winter. You can replace the coconut and banana with nuts or dried fruits for something different 🙂 Since I have discovered this recipe, I always prepare more rice when I cook it for dinner, to make sure I have leftovers to prepare a good rice pudding the next day! Yum!
- 1 bowl of cooked rice (preferably semi-brown or red rice)
- 1/2 bowl of oat milk or almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 cc grated nutmeg
- 1/8 cc powdered ginger
- 1 tbsp coconut milk
- 2 tbsp coconut, grated or chips
- 1 banana
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- Put the cooked rice, vegetable milk, cinnamon and nutmeg in a saucepan. Mix well.
- Bring to a boil. Turn down the lights to get a slight simmering. Cook uncovered until milk is completely absorbed, stirring from time to time. Your rice should become creamy.
- Pour 1/3 of rice in a bowl. Cover with grated coconut and a few banana slices.
- Repeat the previous step, finish with a layer of rice.
- If you want, you can, turn out the bowl of content on a small plate. Please note, it is critical that your rice is not too wet, or your rice dome will collapse like a sandcastle on which water is poured!
- Brush the surface with coconut milk to make it shiny.
- Drizzle with honey and enjoy!
I will post very sonn an Oriental variant of rice pudding, with almond, pistachio and orange blossom…
I wish you a breakfast full of sweetness!