As I am been totally obsessed with purple color for the last few weeks, it’s been a while since I wanted to cook a purple dessert. When I saw purple yams in my usual grocery store, I immediately knew what I was going to do: make a pumpkin pie-like tart, but with an unusual color! This pie can be made with yam as well as sweet potato: I tested both and the result is very similar, both in terms of appearance and taste.
Packed with copper, manganese, and vitamin B2, B5, B6 and C, purple sweet potato does not only have a beautiful color: it is also a mine of nutrients. Its color comes from its high anthocyanins content, a natural pigment of the polyphenol family. Anthocyanins have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Their consumption is considered to limit cardiovascular diseases risk, to strengthen the hydrolipidic film and to slow down skin aging process. In addition, several studies have linked sweet potato consumption to cancer risk reduction.
While I was baking the pie, I was worried that the color would fade. What a surprise when I opened the oven: apart from a small area that had slightly caramelized, the purple colour was even more vibrant than before! Thus, this beautifully coloured tart is perfect for a girly afternoon tea or birthday party. Play on the contrasts for decoration, and surprise guests with this healthy and deliciously spicy pie!
For the crust, I followed the recipe of Dana from the blog Minimalist Baker. To make a vegan, coconut oil based pie crust. I replaced the wheat flour from the original recipe with a gluten-free flour mix. Since the amount of pie crust needed to make this purple sweet potato pie is smaller, I wrote it down here with the correct ingredient quantities to make it easier for you.
Serves 6-8 (6in diameter pie)
- 135 g gluten-free flour
- 80 gr coconut oil (solid)
- 45 ml cold water
- 1 pinch of salt
- 250 gr purple sweet potato / yam
- 75 ml coconut milk
- 2 tbsp aquafaba OR 1 tbsp flax seeds + 1 cs water
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 40 gr cashew nuts, soaked
- 3/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ginger powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 clove, ground
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 180 ° C
- In a bowl, combine gluten-free flour and salt.
- Add the coconut oil. Mix with your fingertips until you get a grainy texture.
- Add the cold water gradually, while gently kneadding with the hands, until dough forms a ball. Do not knead the dough tp much!
- Roll the dough into a circle shape, about thickness of 1/4 in thick.
- Place on an oiled tart pan. Prick the base with a fork.
- Bake in the oven at 180 ° C for 20 minutes. Set aside.
- Bake the sweet potatoes / yam in the oven, at 180°C, until they are tender. This will take about 45 minutes.
- Peel the sweet potatoes / yam. Cut into coarse chunks.
- Place all the ingredients into the bowl of your blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Add more liquide if necessary.
- Spread the cream on the pre-cooked pie crust. Smooth the surface.
- Cook in the lower part of the oven at 180°C for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before decorating.
What color would you like the next recipe to be? Enjoy and see you soon!