At this time of Advent, I could not resist creating a Christmas dessert. If you have been following me for some time, you have how much I like gingerbread cookies, white chocolate and berries. That’s why this dessert combines the three, and I guarantee that the result is pure bomb!
This dessert can easily be made vegan and gluten-free: you just have to make the gingerbread cookies yourself. You will find the recipe, very simple and illustrated in video, by following this link.
Cashew nuts and coconut give a rich and creamy to this cheesecake, with cacao butter for the white chocolate gourmet touch. Agar ensures the cake stays form enough to hold without having to freeze it, as it is the case of most vegan cheesecake recipes found on the Internet.
Finally, I used strawberries I froze last summer for this recipe, because I wanted to associate white and red to give a festive Christmas vibe to this cake. You can however substitute strawberries with the fruit of your choice – mango, passion fruit, apricot, peach, raspberry … – depending on the season and your taste. Similarly, gingerbread cookies can be substituted with your favourite cookies if you wish.
I have added agar in the strawberry sauce, because I wanted to create drips on the edges of the cake and ensure the sauce the result would be nice and tidy on the pictures. You can obviously take it out if you prefer a perfectly liquid sauce.
Another clarification: I used dates and agave syrup to sweeten this dessert, because I try to minimise my consumption of refined sugar, but you can obviously use the equivalent amount of sugar instead.
In terms of nutrition, you will benefit from the goodness of cashew nuts and coconut: iron, magnesium and selenium, among others, essential to the good balance of our body, especially in this period when the cold and the end of the year stress makes damage on our bodies! All this, while indulging in a crunchy, spicy, creamy and tart dessert… Did I convince you? Here is the recipe.
Serves 6-8 people
- 100 gr gingerbread cookies (recipe here!)
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine + what to oil the springform pan
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup cashew nuts, soaked
- 6 dates, pitted and soaked
- 80 gr cocoa butter
- 1/2 + 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp agar-agar
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1/ 4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp agar-agar
- 1 tbsp agave syrup
- juice of 1 lime
- Crumble the gingerbread cookies.
- In a bowl, mix the butter with the gingerbread cookies crumbs.
- Press the preparation into the bottom of a 6 in diameter, oiled springform pan, making an even base.
- In a bowl, soak the grated coconut in the coconut milk for at least 1 hour.
- Melt the cocoa butter over very low heat.
- In a saucepan, bring to the boil 1/2 + 1/4 water and 2 tsp agar. Allow to boil for 2 minutes.
- Blend the coconut mix, cashews, dates. melted cocoa butter and the agar preparation until a homogeneous.
- Pour into the springform pan, over the gingerbread cookies crust.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Remove cheesecake from the pan.
- Mix the strawberries with the lime juice and the agave syrup.
- In a saucepan, boil 1/4 cup water and 1/2 tsp agar. Let it boil for 1 minute.
- Add the blended strawberry preparation and mix thoroughly.
- Pour strawberry sauce on the cheesecake. Spread evenly over the surface of the cake.
- Refrigerate until’s time to eat it!
Enjoy, and talk to you soon,