Here I am back after a long absence. Winter definitely does not any good to me! I ran out of energy, appetite and consequently, culinary inspiration 😥 Fortunately, spring is back in Geneva and gives me a good boost, so I am delighted to share with you this delicious recipe.
These bites are made with oatmeal flakes. They can be enjoyed as biscuits, as a healthy alternative to overly sweet and ultra-processed cookies from stores, or crumbled in milk or yogurt, like granola. I have created this recipe after trying to make homemade raw cereal bars that are not too sweet. As a result, it was impossible to “glue” the cereal flakes together without using tons of syrup, which I wanted to avoid. So I have substituted the tons of syrupy “glue” with a mixture of peanut butter, dark chocolate and melted coconut oil, you can see the picture on my Instagram.
In the variation I am sharing today, I have used hazelnuts because that’s what I had at home, but you can obviously replace them with the nuts of your choice: almond, walnuts, pecan, cashew, macadamia… Same for cranberries, that can be substituted with raisins, or chunks of prunes or dates. As I’m obsessed with spices, I could not help adding cinnamon and ginger to the recipe, but you can of course omit them if you want.
Before sharing the racipe, here are some nutritional information about oat. This cereal is very interesting because of its soluble and insoluble fiber content, which favors intestinal transit. Oats are also a good source of phosphorus, manganese, magnesium, iron and selenium, and are great base for a healthy breakfast because of their moderate glycemic load (11) and high satiating power.
Ingredients for 24 bites
- 2 cups coarse rolled oats
- 1/2 cup plantbased milk
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp hazelnut butter
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp grounp ginger
- 1 tbsp coconut oil + some more for greasing the pan
- 1 bowl
- 1 mini muffin pan (24 pieces)
- 1 spatula
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a bowl, mix the rolled oats, milk and maple syrup. Allow to rest for 15 minutes, until the cereal have soaked all the liquid, mixing from time to time.
- Add the hazelnut butter, melted coconut oil, the cranberries and chopped hazelnuts. Mix until getting a coarse batter.
- Pour batter into the greased muffin pan.
- Bake in oven for 12 minutes.
- Turn the oven grill on, and bake for 2 more minutes, until bites are golden brown.
- Remove bites from pan. Eat them warm, or allow them to cool down completely before storing in an airtight container.